Fat Rascal Recipe for Fat Lads
Betty's Fat Rascals (or Yorkshire Turf cake) are traditional fruit scones from the Fat Lad homeland of Yorkshire. The famous Betty's Bakery developed the sweet staple into a household name across the United Kingdom by adding the cheeky rascal face. The exact origin of the original Yorkshire Turf cake recipe remains a bit of a mystery, but they've been gobbled by local folk for centuries.
We can confirm that Fat Rascals make a reet nice treat for a mid-ride snack. This tried and tested recipe will give you delicious satisfaction and that much-needed energy boost. The individual size and sturdiness of Fat Rascals make them easy to shove in your jersey pocket. Happy snacking!
Fat Rascals can also be enjoyed with lashings of butter or cream and jam and a big cup of Yorkshire tea! Eck! Let's get baking the DIY Fat Rascal!
150g plain flour
150g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
125g cubed unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
150g dried fruit (raisins, sultana mix)
1 large egg
5 tbsp milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Combine the plain flour and self raising flour and sieve into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add in the butter and rub together with your fingers to make the mixture look like breadcrumbs.
4. Grate the zest of the orange and lemon and add to the bowl, along with the caster sugar, spices and dried fruit. Mix it all together.
5. Lightly beat the egg and add to the mixture with the milk to bring it together to form a dough. Separate the dough into 6 rounds approximately 1" (2.5cm) deep.
6. For the glaze, combine the egg yolk and water together. Brush them with the mixture and add the cherries and almonds in a face shape to decorate.
7. Pop them in t'oven on a non-stick baking try for 15-20 minutes until they turn a lovely golden brown colour.
8. If you are able to, leave them to cool before gobbling. They taste best still warm out of the oven, topped with butter and partnered with a brew.
Enjoy this taste of Yorkshire in your very own home! We would love to see your Fat Lad Fat Rascal creations – take a photo, upload it to Instagram or Facebook and tag us!